Getting to Know the Candidates
The district will host a forum for the current slate of school board candidates on Monday, October 18, from 6-8 p.m. at the Wallace Elementary auditorium. It will be open to the public and livestreamed via the Johnston Live Stream Network. This is not a debate, but an opportunity for the candidates to introduce themselves and share why they are running.
Members of the community are encouraged to come to the forum, meet the candidates, and learn more about them before voting on November 2.
What to Expect
- Welcome by Superintendent Laura Kacer and introduction of moderator Siobhan Schneider, Policy/Legal Services Director for the Iowa Association of School Boards
- Siobhan will outline the basic conduct and flow of the forum
- Using their drawn numbers, candidates will introduce themselves using the following prompt:
- Tell us a bit about yourself, your background/experience, and your connection and/or interest in the Johnston Community School District. What are your reasons for seeking a position on the Board?
- Siobhan will ask the questions in a rotational order, ensuring each candidate is asked an equal number of questions.
- We will allow 15-20 minutes at the end of the forum for audience questions.