An Exciting Time for AllWallace Elementary kindergarten teacher leads class in discussion.

A much-anticipated time for your family is approaching  and the principals and staff at the five Johnston Community School District elementary schools are ready to make this school year a memorable experience for each child.

Where does my child go to school?

Please take a moment to view our boundary maps online at If you do not live within the district boundaries, you must apply for open enrollment before September 1, 2018.

2019-20 Information and Online Registration

We are registering our incoming kindergartners online, starting January 30, 2019.

For families who are unable to access the website from home, visit the district’s enrollment specialist at 5608 Merle Hay Rd. in Johnston.

Wallace kindergartners use blocks to complete a chair for a bearDocuments needed to complete the registration process

NOTE: If your student is enrolled in Developmental Kindergarten and these forms have already been provided they do not need to be completed again.

The documents listed below can be uploaded into the online registration, emailed to, or dropped off at any of the school buildings during the hours of 7:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.

  • Proof of residency. All new students entering the district must provide the proper documentation to establish residency in order to enroll. All documents provided must state the student’s physical address, and residency at that address is required. A post office box is NOT an acceptable address for the purpose of determining residency. Examples of acceptable paperwork: most recent mortgage statement, most recent lease agreement, most recent utility bill, etc.
  • Proof of age. Children who are five (5) years old by September 15, 2019 are eligible for kindergarten in the 2020 school year. Several options are acceptable – these can be original or copies: hospital birth certificate; passport; adoption papers; county certificate; or state certificate.
  • Certificate of Immunization. Your child’s physician can provide you with a copy of all immunizations given. A photo copy of the certificate of immunization is acceptable.
  • Vision Form. This can be completed by your child’s physician. It is due at the start of the school year.
  • Dental Form. This can be completed by your child’s dentist. It is due at the start of the school year.
  • Physical Exam. This can be completed by your child’s physician. It is due at the start of the school year.

If you have questions regarding kindergarten/developmental kindergarten registration, please contact our district enrollment specialist at (515) 278-0470 or by emailing