2019-20 Academic Calendar Approved
At the January 14 board meeting, the Johnston Board of Education approved the 2019-20 Johnston Community School District academic calendar. A public hearing on the calendar was held at the January 14 board meeting at approximately 6 p.m.
A committee composed of parents, teachers, board representatives, and other school staff have been meeting since November to develop a calendar for the 2019-20 school year. In addition to committee work, the district sent out two separate surveys to parents, staff, and students grades 7-11 to get their feedback on desired state/end dates, length of breaks, and professional development days.
Iowa Code mandates a number of things within any school district’s yearly schedule, including start date and a minimum of 1080 student contact hours or 180 schools days. The district also has an obligation to fulfill the set number of union-contracted work days for employees.
Notable dates for the 2019-20 academic calendar are:
- Start Date: Friday, August 23
- Winter break: Dec. 23-Jan 1, students/staff return on Jan. 2
- Spring break: March 16-20
- No school day/staff PD day: April 24
- Last day of school, barring no make up days: May 29
- Teacher work day: June 1
- Spring parent/teacher conference comp day: June 2