Here to Help
The Summit Middle School counseling team is here to work with you and your child to ensure a successful middle school experience.
We will have various contacts with your child during the course of the school year through individual conferences, small groups, and monthly classroom lessons.
School counselors help students by….
- Promoting positive attitudes among students toward self, family, peers and community
- Assisting students in learning how school performance relates to future opportunities
- Developing and delivering classroom guidance lessons that teach skills, such as healthy decision making, resolving conflicts, and respecting others
- Working collaboratively with students, parents, and teachers to identify and remove barriers to learning
- Supporting students by teaching skills for achieving success
- Helping students to recognize and make the best of their abilities
- Counseling with students individually and in groups
- Providing support during personal crisis
- Orienting new students
How and why do parents contact the school counselors?
- Concerns over student achievement
- Family health problems
- New school orientation
- Discussing special needs of their child
- Early discussion of potential crises
- Family difficulties or concerns that affect school performance
- Social and/or emotional concerns about their student
We encourage you to have your child avail him or herself to all Summit Middle School has to offer. We look forward to sharing an on-going relationship that incorporates concerns and suggestions from you and your child to build confidence and ensure a successful school year! Please do not hesitate to contact the school counseling staff with any questions or concerns.