2017 Excellence in Energy Efficient Design Award Winners Announced
(Submitted by the Weidt Group)
DES MOINES, Iowa – Sept. 29, 2017 – Recipients of the 2017 Excellence in Energy Efficient Design Award were announced at the 2017 American Institute of Architects Iowa Convention in Des Moines, Iowa. The Excellence in Energy Efficient Design Award program recognizes outstanding efforts in reducing energy use. Candidates are selected from projects whose designers participated in the Commercial New Construction program offered by Alliant Energy, Black Hills Energy and MidAmerican Energy Company. Projects must have been completed between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017.
The Commercial New Construction program provides energy design assistance and energy-efficiency incentives to commercial customers for new construction, additions and renovation projects located in areas served by the three utilities.
The Commercial New Construction program recognizes the following companies:
- FEH DESIGN and West Plains Engineering, Inc. for the Northwest Iowa Community College Applied Technology Building, achieving a 76 percent annual kBTU
- Neumann Monson Architects, LMN Architects, and Design Engineers for the University of Iowa Voxman Music Building, achieving a 70 percent annual kBTU savings.
- bnim and Design Engineers for University of Iowa Visual Arts Building, achieving a 67 percent annual kBTU
- Wold Architects and Engineers for the Scott County Sheriff’s Patrol Headquarters, achieving a 61 percent annual kBTU
- Perkins+Will, frk architects + engineers and Alvine Engineering for the Johnston High School, achieving a 61 percent annual kBTU
- Iowa DOT – Facility Design and Inspection for the Mason City Maintenance Facility and District Office, achieving a 60 percent annual kBTU
- Architecture by Design, Inc. and EDA Inc. for the SCCSD Perry Creek Elementary School, achieving a 59 percent annual kBTU
- Solum Lang Architects, LLC and Design Engineers for the Indian Creek Nature Center, achieving a 52 percent annual kBTU
- FEH DESIGN and EDA Inc. for the Sioux Central CSD Improvements and Additions, achieving a 43 percent annual kBTU
- Shive-Hattery Architecture + Engineering for the Clear Creek Amana CSD Middle School Additions and HVAC Replacement, achieving a 42 percent annual kBTU
Alliant Energy, Black Hills Energy and MidAmerican Energy thank the Iowa architectural and engineering communities for their continued dedication to energy efficiency and participation in the Commercial New Construction program.
Alliant Energy Corporation’s Iowa utility subsidiary, Interstate Power and Light Company (IPL), utilizes the trade name of Alliant Energy. The Iowa utility is based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and provides electric service to 490,000 customers and natural gas service to 225,000 customers. The employees of Alliant Energy focus on delivering the energy solutions and exceptional service their customers and communities expect – safely, efficiently and responsibly. Alliant Energy Corporation is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol LNT and is a component of the S&P 500. For more information, visit alliantenergy.com.
Black Hills Energy – Iowa Gas
Black Hills/Iowa Gas Utility Company, LLC d/b/a Black Hills Energy serves 151,000 natural gas customers in 130 Iowa communities and is a recipient of the U.S. EPA 2012 ENERGY STAR® Leadership in Housing Award. Black Hills Energy is a subsidiary of Black Hills Corp., a diversified energy company with a tradition of exemplary service and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Black Hills Corp. is based in Rapid City, S.D., with corporate offices in
Denver and Papillion, Neb. Black Hills Corp. serves 765,000 natural gas and electric utility customers in Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming, and its non-regulated businesses generate wholesale electricity and produce natural gas, oil and coal.
Black Hills Corp.’s 2,000 employees partner to produce results that are improving life with energy. More information is available at www.blackhillscorp.com.
MidAmerican Energy Company
MidAmerican Energy Company is an energy provider serving 760,000 electric customers and 742,000 natural gas customers in Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska and South Dakota. It is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. Information about MidAmerican Energy is available on the company’s website and its Twitter, Facebook and YouTube pages, which can be accessed via MidAmerican Energy Company’s website.