Weather monitoring for January 11

UPDATE: January 10, 6:20 p.m. CST

If at 5:30 a.m. the forecast continues to call for freezing rain to be in effect from 6:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. (the time our buses are on route and people are getting to school), we will call for a two-hour delay. The notification for a two-hour delay would come via phone, email, and posted on the district’s website, social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), and on local TV channels.

In the event of a two-hour delay, secondary students WILL have finals for periods 2, 6, and 7. A modified scheduled has been created for a possible late start.

KTC will open at the normal time if there is a two-hour delay (6:30 a.m.), but there will be NO morning developmental kindergarten or morning preschool classes.

Again, we will notify parents via phone and email at approximately 5:30 a.m. if there is a two-hour delay. If there is no delay, notifications will not be sent.


The National Weather Service (Johnston, IA) has issued a variety of warnings for winter weather conditions around the state, starting the evening of January 10 and going into the morning of Thursday, January 11.

While the metro area is not expected to see heavy snowfall, there is a likelihood of rain for Thursday morning, which could create a “flash freeze” on roadways. If this occurs, it will have an impact on morning commutes to school and work.

As we have done in the past, weather conditions will be monitored throughout the evening (Jan. 10) and very early tomorrow morning (Jan. 11). We will also consult with surrounding districts as they make their decisions. Any delay or cancellation would be made by 6 a.m. tomorrow (Thursday) morning. Parents will receive a phone call and email if the school day schedule is altered. We also post these notifications on local TV channels, our social media feeds (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), and on the district website.

If there is no change to the daily schedule, we will not be sending out an email or phone call. As always, when inclement weather conditions are present, parents have the choice to send their child to school. We ask that if you elect to keep your child home or bring them later in the morning, to please call their school to inform them of your decision.