School Board Superheroes Celebrated in May
May is School Board Recognition Month, sponsored by the Iowa Association of School Boards to celebrate the contributions of board members to Iowa public education. The Johnston Community School District is celebrating our school board superheroes for their heroic work serving our students and our school.
“While our board members are elected to the position by the community, they serve unpaid,” said Laura Kacer, JCSD Superintendent. “They’re volunteers who are true superheroes—they spend a significant amount of time at regular monthly meetings, reviewing board materials, communicating with citizens, taking advantage of board learning opportunities, and attending school functions and activities.”
The Johnston Community School District School Board is charged with governing our school district. They set the direction for the district, oversee the budget, develop policies and make decisions that impact the entire community. And most importantly—they are committed to student achievement.
“Our school board keeps the district moving forward. They serve 7,400 students grades PreK-12 and 1,000 employees, and are responsible for an annual budget of $129 million. It’s a big job for no pay, but our board members are committed to meeting the needs of our students and our community,” said Kacer.
The Johnston Community School District is shining a spotlight on our superheroes at the regular monthly meeting on May 6 at 6 p.m. at the district’s Administrative Resource Center, 5608 Merle Hay Road, Johnston. Media and community members are invited to attend an appreciation reception for the board members, held shortly after the meeting begins.
The superheroes serving the Johnston Community School District and their years of service are:
- Greg Dockum (Board President) – Eight years of board service
- Jill Morrill (Vice President) – 17 years of board service
- Justin Allen – Two years of board service
- Deb Henry – Eight years of board service
- Steven Hopper – Two years of board service
- Dr. Jeanie Kerber – Two years of board service
- Marci Cordaro – Eight years of board service
- Marie Johnson, student representative – One year of board service
- Aubrey McCombs, student representative – One year of board service