DE approves additional temporary online waiver
At the December 07 board meeting, the board approved continuation of the Johnston CSD temporary online learning waiver, due to continued concern of COVID-19 positivity rates in Polk Co. and the desire to keep students and teachers in a consistent routine The board meeting is available to watch on demand on https://team1sports.com/johnston/.
Extending the Temporary Online Learning Waiver
Our temporary online learning waiver has been approved by the Department of Education. It will go into effect Monday, December 14. The implications for the approved waiver include:
- Keeps students in the virtual learning model through our 3-hour early out on Wednesday, Dec. 23.
- In-season, high school (grade 9-12) extracurriculars/sports can begin practices after 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 23. Information on practices and team gatherings will be communicated by coaches to athletes/participants and parents. All safety precautions are expected to be followed at all times. This applies to wrestling, basketball, bowling, boys swimming, dance, cheerleading, and show choir.
- The board is tentatively planning to hold a special board meeting on December 28 at 5:00 p.m., if needed, to discuss the Return To Learn model when students resume classes on Monday, Jan. 4. This meeting will be livestreamed if it is held.
Meal Service Through Dec. 22
The Nutrition Department will continue providing free meals to Johnston students while they are learning remotely. Each student will receive a bundle of 5 breakfast and 5 lunch meals for the week.
We will offer FREE grab-n-go curbside meal pick-up at the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, Dec 15 9:30am – 10:30am
- Thursday, Dec 17 4:00pm – 5:00pm
- Tuesday, Dec 22 9:30am – 10:30am
Site locations are Johnston High School North parking Lot and Beaver Creek KTC entrance. Questions can be directed to the JCSD Nutrition Department at 278-0278.
Continued Communication on Health Status
We are actively monitoring the positivity rate in Polk County and health metrics in our own district. If you have a child who tests positive, please contact their school to let them know. This helps us keep a pulse on the community spread here in Johnston and what this may mean for our safe return to learning.