JHS production of Cinderella wins top statewide awards
JOHNSTON, Ia. (May 11, 2022) — The Johnston High School Drama Department’s spring 2022 production of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella (Broadway Version) is the recipient of the state’s Outstanding Musical Production Award — one of the highest honors in this area.
In celebration of this honor, the JHS cast of Cinderella will perform an excerpt of its production at the 2022 Iowa High School Musical Theater Awards Showcase, to be held 7 p.m. Saturday, June 18 at the Des Moines Civic Center.
The Showcase will recognize 85 schools from across Iowa and is the culmination of a yearlong education initiative. The event is produced by Des Moines Performing Arts and presented by EMC Insurance Companies.
In addition to a special performance at the showcase, Johnston’s participation in the statewide event will include:
- Select students will represent Johnston by performing in a collaborative inter-school medley led by a guest Broadway music director and choreographer.
- Brooke Mattingly, Mia Mattingly, and Isabella Morales will participate in the Triple Threat Award program with other advanced performing students as recipients of the ‘Outstanding Performance in a Principal Role’ student award.
- Students will audition for theater camp scholarships and the opportunity to represent Iowa at the National High School Musical Theatre Awards in New York City this summer.
- Trevor Fitzpatrick has been selected to serve as a Student Assistant Stage Manager for the showcase through a competitive process. He will work alongside the professional team to run rehearsals, call cues, and more to execute the statewide event.
- Director Jeremy Fitzpatrick has been selected as one of this year’s Impact Award recipients. This award goes to individuals based on their dedication to the high school musical experience and tremendous contributions to the students, community, and the arts as evidenced by essays and supporting testimonials from students and members of the community.
Johnston was also recognized in three additional areas:
- Special Recognition for Performance in a Principal Role – Alison Miner as “Charlotte”
- Special Recognition for Ensemble
- Special Recognition for Student Orchestra
Tickets to the Showcase start at $15 and go on sale 10 a.m. Friday, May 20 at DMPA.org, the Civic Center Ticket Office, and by phone at 515-246-2300.
The Awards Showcase will be livestreamed at IowaPBS.org as part of a collaboration with Iowa PBS. Iowa PBS will also broadcast a highlights special of the event on a date to be determined.