JMS Announcements – 4/10/23
Announcements for: Monday, April 10, 2023
Teachers will update weekly assignments every Sunday so students know what needs to be done the following week. In the weekly updates, teachers will communicate any due dates for student work.
No new announcements today.
JMS CHEERLEADING TRYOUTS: Please see the information below regarding the Middle School Cheerleading tryouts and schedule. Students will tryout this May, to be on the team next year for the 2023-2024 season.
Who: Open to Current 7th & 8th Grade Students
What: Middle School Cheerleading Tryouts
Where: Johnston Middle School – Door 15 – Multipurpose Room
When: Saturday, May 6 – Starting at 8:00AM
Please click the link below to register for tryouts, or scan the QR code.
Questions, email Alec Craigmile at email@example.com
SPIRITWEAR: Our Spring PTO Spirit Wear sale is open! Enter “JMS” as the promo code at checkout to receive FREE shipping! Order closes Friday, April 14th at 6:00 p.m.
Click here to order: Spring PTO ’23 Apparel Store – ShopJCSD.org
JOHNSTON BOYS SPRING WRESTLING: Mondays and Wednesdays 5:30-6:45PM at the JHS Wrestling Room.
Sessions begin on Monday March 27th and run through May 3rd. All Johnston students are welcome to attend. No fees, sign up can be taken care of on-site.
BOYS TENNIS: Enrollment for Community Education programs is now open. Boys interested in playing high school tennis should consider signing up for our tennis camp. It runs June 13-23, 9-11 am.
Here is a description of the camp and the enrollment link:
The Johnston Boys tennis camp is designed for Grades 8-12 planning on playing high school tennis. Emphasis will be placed on singles and doubles match strategy and advanced stroke development. Deadline to register and receive a t-shirt is May 21st. Campers should bring a racket, water bottle and sun screen each day.
Please visit the Community Education website to enroll.
Contact Coach D with any questions or concerns.
JMS WEIGHT ROOM SPRING SCHEDULE:
1st Official Day – Monday, March 20 – 8th & 9th Informational Meeting & Instructions
Last Day of Spring – Friday, May 18
Weightlifting Hours of Operation:
9th Grade Students ONLY – 6:00-7:00am -Monday, Wednesday, Friday
· Locker rooms will be available in the morning for students to shower, change, etc.
8th & 9th Grade Students – 3:00-4:00pm – Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
· No locker rooms will be open after school. Students will change in the restroom located across from the weight room.
Location: JMS Weight Room – Closest Entrance is Door 15
Expectations & Requirements:
· Enter the weight room mentally and physically ready to work
· No horseplay at any time.
· Use common sense and avoid potentially dangerous situations
· No food or drink or gum in the Weight Room
· Wear proper lifting clothes
· Shoes Must Be Worn at All Times (No Sandals, Open Toe Shoes, CROCS).
· No headphones (Be coachable to hear coach/teammate feedback and timing system)
· A spotter must be used on all free lifting stations. Example: Bench Press, Incline Press, Overhead Press.
· Return all free weights to their correct weight racks
· Report any Injury to the supervisor immediately
· Never lift weights without a supervisor present In the room
· Follow the prescribed weight and repetition assigned by your individual program
· Never sacrifice technique for weight! Technique and quality repetitions are the priority
· Bring the right attitude, effort, and energy. We are here to work!
· Help to create an environment that encourages optimal performance. BE EXCELLENT!
**Failure to comply with the standards above will result in a loss of privilege and student may be removed permanently **
SUMMER SCHEDULE: The Summer weightlifting will be sent out in May via email and Twitter. This will include weight room and speed & agility programs for students entering 8th – 12th grade.
School Early Dismissal Days = no weightlifting
School Weather Dismissal Days = no weightlifting
Non School Days / Holidays = no weightlifting
EMERGENCY CLOSINGS: In the event we need to close the weight room, the Activities Department will use the following methods of communication:
· Student Email Announcements – Sent by Rachel Andrews
· In-Person Announcements on Intercom – Sent by Cheryl Hudson
FAMILY WEEK: The Unified Activity Federation (Iowa High School Athletic Association, Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union, Iowa High School Music Association, and Iowa High School Speech Association) have declared Non-Contact Period for the summer of 2023. During this time, there will be no activities in the Johnston Community School District, including camps, clinics, workouts, strength and conditioning, lessons, meetings, etc. This provides a break for students and staff, and a great time with family. This is a great time to schedule a vacation.
· Family Week starts Sunday, July 22, 2023 – Sunday, July 30, 2023.
SCHOOL DRIVER’S PERMIT:
** 9th grade students who wish to obtain a school driver’s permit can follow the following link: https://www.johnstoncsd.org/school-news/school-drivers-permit-process/
This link will guide them to a Google Site. Students will need to log in with their jdragonmail credentials in order to watch a video and complete a quiz. The video contains the information that was presented at permit meetings in the past and will now take the place of those meetings. One parent will need to watch the video and note that completion on the quiz. As usual, the only students eligible are 9th graders who have completed driver’s education and have had their learner’s permit for at least six months. After the quiz has been completed, students can pick up their signed Department of Transportation form in the JMS Front Office. Students will need a parking tag to park on school grounds during the school year. Parking tags are available for $20 when students pick up their DOT form. Please make sure you have your license plate number with you at the time of purchase.
ATTENTION SCHOOL PERMIT DRIVERS: We want to keep you safe and legal. REMEMBER YOU CAN ONLY DRIVE TO SCHOOL–you should not be driving to any other location with this permit! Please review the laws/expectations of your School Permit.
USAGE: When can I use my School Permit?
· Only within the school boundaries
· To school or school sponsored event
LOCATIONS: ** Where do I go with my School Permit? **
· Travel the direct route (App.)
· Gas stations should be on or nearest to the route
TRANSPORTING OTHERS: Can anyone else ride with me?
· One passenger other than siblings
· This does not change the direct route expectation, passengers must start and stop at your locations
VIOLATIONS: What will happen to me if I don’t obey the law?
· Examples of Law Enforcement Consequences
· Loss of privileges (Ex: 2 or more Moving Violations = Revoked for 1 year)
· Monetary (Ex: $195 for Speeding Violation)
· Prolonged time for license
· School Consequences
· Typically: Warning, Alternative parking sight, Loss of privilege
PARKING: Where can I park while I’m at school?
· Back Lot – North side of JMS (Enter Door 15)
· Must have purchased a parking tag ($20) in the JMS Front Office
· Use only non “staff parking” spots