Eat. Sleep. TRAIN. Repeat.
Weightlifting Hours of Operation:
8th & 9th Grade Students – 3:00-4:00pm – Monday, Tuesday & Thursday
- No locker rooms will be open after school. Students will change in the restroom located across from the weight room.
JMS Weight Room – Closest Entrance is Door 15
Expectations & Requirements:
- Enter the weight room mentally and physically ready to work
- No horseplay at any time.
- Use common sense and avoid potentially dangerous situations
- No food or drink or gum in the Weight Room
- Wear proper lifting clothes
- Shoes Must Be Worn at All Times (No Sandals, Open Toe Shoes, CROCS).
- No headphones (Be coachable to hear coach/teammate feedback and timing system)
- A spotter must be used on all free lifting stations. Example: Bench Press, Incline Press, Overhead Press.
- Return all free weights to their correct weight racks
- Report any Injury to the supervisor immediately
- Never lift weights without a supervisor present In the room
- Follow the prescribed weight and repetition assigned by your individual program
- Never sacrifice technique for weight! Technique and quality repetitions are the priority
- Bring the right attitude, effort, and energy. We are here to work!
- Help to create an environment that encourages optimal performance. BE EXCELLENT!
**Failure to comply with the standards above will result in a loss of privilege and student may be removed permanently **
1st Official Day – Monday, September 11, 2023 – 8th & 9th Informational Meeting & Instructions
Last Day of Fall – Thursday, October 26, 2023
1st Official Day – Tuesday, November 6, 2023 – 8th & 9th Informational Meeting & Instructions
CLOSED for HOLIDAY – November 22-24
Last day of 2022 – Thursday, December 14, 2023
Resume – Monday, January 8, 2024
Last Day of Winter – Thursday, February 29, 2024
1st Official Day – Monday, March 25, 2024 – 8th & 9th Informational Meeting & Instructions
Last Day of Spring – Friday, May 16, 2024
The Summer weightlifting will be send out in May via email and Twitter. This will include weight room and speed & agility programs for students entering 8th – 12th grade.
School Early Dismissal Days = no weightlifting
School Weather Dismissal Days = no weightlifting
Non School Days / Holidays = no weightlifting
In the event we need to close the weight room, the Activities Department will use the following methods of communication:
- Student Email Announcements – Sent by Main Office
- In-Person Announcements on Intercom – Sent by Cheryl Hudson
The Unified Activity Federation (Iowa High School Athletic Association, Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union, Iowa High School Music Association, and Iowa High School Speech Association) have declared Non-Contact Period for the summer of 2024. During this time, there will be no activities in the Johnston Community School District, including camps, clinics, workouts, strength and conditioning, lessons, meetings, etc. This provides a break for students and staff, and a great time with family. This is a great time to schedule a vacation.
- Family Week starts Sunday, July 28 – August 4, 2024 and July 27 – August 3, 2025.