A Rising Epidemic Among Young People
In December 2019, Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds launched a new youth vaping awareness and prevention campaign. This campaign is designed to raise awareness among teenagers and their parents around the risks of youth vaping, which is a growing epidemic in Iowa and nationally.
Watch the Video: Vaping vs. Reality
Watch the Video: Vaping is an Epidemic
Schools play a critical role in this conversation, not only because of the expertise of school nurses and health educators, but also because of the relationships that educators and school leaders have with students and families. The more we equip communities with evidence-based information, the better the chances that students will be prepared to make safe, healthy decisions. School personnel, parents, community members, and students are invited to use and share these resources, provided by the State of Iowa.
Resources for Parents
- E-cigarettes and Youth: What Parents Need to Know (PDF) (CDC)
- Teachers and Parents: That USB Stick Might Be an E-cigarette poster (CDC)
- Know The Risks E-Cigarettes and Young People (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- Juuling: What Pediatricians and Families Need to Know (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Vaping: What You Need to Know And How to Talk With Your Kids (PDF) (Partnership for Drug-Free Kids)
Resources for health educators, coaches, and teachers
- E-cigarettes and Youth: What Educators and Coaches Need to Know (PDF) (CDC)
- Tobacco Industry-Sponsored Youth Prevention Program in Schools (PDF)
- Presentation for Youth: Know the Risks – A Youth Guide to E-cigarettes (CDC & IDPH)